georgia immigration lawyer

The U.S. immigration process is complicated and confusing — especially if you don’t have an experienced immigration lawyer at your side. At the George McCranie Law Firm, our immigration law team helps people navigate the process of getting visas, American citizenship, adjusting their status, and fighting deportation. Learn more about our comprehensive immigration practice, and how we might help you, below.

Fiancé Visas

U.S. citizens can request a K-1 or fiancé visa for a foreign national they intend to marry. After the wedding, your spouse can immediately apply for legal permanent residency (“LPR” or a “green card”) and employment authorization. However, you must meet certain requirements before your fiancé/fiancée can get a K-1 visa:

  • Only citizens (not legal residents or visa holders) can apply for a fiancé visa.
  • You must marry within 90 days of your fiancé or fiancéé’s entry into the United States.
  • You and your future spouse have physically met within the last two years (in most cases).
  • Both of you plan on legally marrying in the United States.

While the process is relatively simple, issues can arise and K-1 visas aren’t for everyone.

We’ve worked hard to build our international reputation for well-crafted and efficient K-1 visa applications. At the George McCranie Law Firm, we’ll take the time necessary to understand your circumstances and long-term goals. Then, we’ll build an immigration plan for your fiancé/fiancée that is practical, streamlined, and appropriate. Contact us for more information about our track record of success and approach to K-1 visas.

georgia immigration lawyer

Adjustment of Immigration Status

When a foreign national is legally living in the United States and he or she becomes a legal permanent resident (gets a green card), the process is called “adjustment of status.” You can apply for an adjustment of status under certain circumstances, including:

  • You enter the United States under a fiancé visa and legally marry within 90 days
  • You are an eligible immigrant that qualifies for an available visa or green card

Determining your eligibility for legal permanent residency is a detailed and complicated process. We’ll have to look at your immigration status, criminal history, the available visas, and many other factors. If you’re ready to become a permanent resident of the United States, contact an immigration lawyer at the George McCranie Law Firm for a no-risk, confidential evaluation.

Getting a Green Card Through the Consular Process

Adjustment of Status is only available for immigrants that legally reside within the United States. Otherwise, you must apply for a green card while you’re outside the United State through the Consular Process. Unfortunately, the Consular Process is complicated and frequently frustrating, since you must comply with both U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and State Department rules.

Typically, it involves:

  • Filing an application and extensive paperwork
  • Completing a medical exam
  • Participating in an interview
  • A detailed background check

Because a denied application can have long-ranging immigration implications, it’s always best to work with an immigration lawyer with significant experience in the Consular Process. For more information about our approach to green card applications, contact the George McCranie Law Firm.

Spousal Visas

When a U.S. citizen marries a foreign national, this spouse and his or her unmarried children who under the age of 21 can move to the United States under a K-3 or K-4 visa. Under a spousal visa, a foreign national gets a two-year provisional visa. After that time, he or she can apply for a green card.

The process of applying for spousal visa involves significant paperwork, a background check, and other procedures. If you’re interested in getting a spousal visa or have questions about the process, schedule an appointment with an immigration lawyer today!

Visa Waiver Program

Many foreign nationals can visit the United States for either business or tourism for up to 90 days without a visa. While you can always apply for a visa, this visa waiver system can streamline your trips to the U.S. However, to be eligible for a visa waiver, you must meet certain strict requirements. An immigration lawyer can help you understand your eligibility for a visa waiver and facilitate your short-term visit to the United States.

georgia immigration lawyer


Naturalization is the process where a foreign national becomes a U.S. citizen. It is an intensive process, but when completed successfully, you’ll enjoy the full benefits of American citizenship. We assist clients with the naturalization process, including USCIS interviews, immigration testing, and background checks. We also help veterans apply for expedited citizenship through the Immigration and Nationality Act.


Sometimes, our clients don’t realize that they have a claim for U.S. citizenship through their parents. If one of your parents is a U.S. citizen, you might qualify for citizenship without completing the naturalization process. Instead, you’ll file an Application for Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-600) with USCIS. We can help you assess your eligibility and complete the correct a paperwork. An immigration lawyer at our office can also address issues or disputes that arise during the application process.

What to Do If Arrested

If you’re a foreign national or a legal permanent resident and are arrested, you should immediately contact a lawyer with experience in both immigration and criminal law. If you make statements to law enforcement authorities or accept a plea deal before you consult with a lawyer, you might endanger your legal immigration status or face deportation.

The George McCranie Law Firm has extensive experience with both immigration law and criminal defense. We can help you understand all of the implications of your criminal charges and help you navigate these complicated and emotional matters. We also assist with legal issues arising out of immigration sweeps.

Family-Based Immigration

While “chain migration” sometimes gets a bad rap, family-based immigration helps reunite families and helps build the American dream. Immediate relatives, such as a spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent, can receive an expedited visa. Other family members, including older or married children, can also apply for visas — but are subject to immigration quotas. Because this process can be time-intensive and complicated, we encourage you to contact an immigration lawyer before applying for a family-based visa.

Schedule an Appointment With an Immigration Lawyer

When you retain an immigration lawyer at the George McCranie Law Firm, you’ll get practical advice, patient guidance, and aggressive representation from an experienced attorney. To schedule a confidential, no-risk appointment, contact us today.