Can I hire an illegal Immigrant? I want to offer a high school student a part time job. She, however, has no legal status. Is there a way I can hire her without getting in trouble with the IRS or the U.S. Government?


The short answer is – No. It is illegal to hire a person that does not have a valid Work Authorization in the U.S.. Some foreign workers have work visa’s that allow them to work legally in the U.S., but it doesn’t appear from the information in your question that would be the case with the high school student. If you were checked by the government you could face harsh civil & criminal penalties. It may be possible that the high school student would qualify for DACA or another program , but this would be best determined by meeting with an immigration attorney. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Good Luck!!!
George McCranie – Offices in Douglas & Valdosta, GA –