Is it possible to marry an immigrant in the U.S. while on visa and have them stay here legal or is there more to do?


Based on your question it isn’t clear whether or not YOU are a U.S. Citizen. If you are a U.S. citizen there are several options that you and your fiancé have:

(1) get married in India and then use the Consular Process. This will allow him to then come to the U.S. and become a Legal Permanent resident (Green Card). After he is a legal resident for 3 years he can then apply to Naturalize and become a U.S. citizen by using the N-400 process.

(2) He could get a K-1 Fiancé visa, travel to the U.S. and get married here. Please be aware that there are time restrictions that apply to a K-1 visa and when you have to get married. After the marriage in the U.S. he could then apply for an Adjustment of Status and become a Lawful Permanent Resident. After being married for 3 years he could then apply for Naturalization through the N-400 process and become a U.S. Citizen.

I would advise you to consult with an Immigration Attorney that can help you complete either of these processes in the most expedited manner.

Good Luck & Best Wishes on you upcoming Marriage!!!!

George McCranie – Offices in Valdosta & Douglas, GA –